chicp

chicp

Ol Will



"All the world’s a stage,

And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages." -Shakespeare

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pride and Denial : Serial Killers

Frances spoke alright. She could even hear a little and lipread some. With this, it was determined that she should be mainstreamed all the way through high school. She was an average student that made good marks on tests yet was always behind in her school work. Her social life was uneventful and limited because she could never really keep up with the chatter of the Gossiping Girly Gals and, of course, the Blue Balls Boys only seemed to like her because she was a young lady with a nice body and a pretty face. What friends she did have, only seemed to come around when their other friends we're busy or away and had no other choice.

You see, for Frances, high school sucked really bad. So bad that she contemplated suicide often. She would cut and scratch her arms and fingers, punch herself in the face, and she would pull her hair out in a fit of rage. She would cry and moan her way to sleep in the cold corner of her room while the door was locked.

"Mama, I'm not happy. I hurt inside. I don't feel right at school and all the other kids make me feel stupid. They don't understand that I can't hear the way they hear. Sometimes I wish I didn't even exist because it hurts so bad when they make you feel like you don't exist."

"Baby, I understand. They just don't understand. You're better than they are because you can do so much and you don't hear like they do! Just forget about it and remember. Daddy and I love you so much and we are proud of you."

"But Mama,..."

"Shhhh...don't worry about them. You're doing just fine and before you know it, high school with be over. (long pause) So...have you done your homework and decided which colleges you're going to apply for next year?"

"Daddy, Will you hate me if I want to drop out of school?"

"Now Frances, don't be silly and start getting these wild ideas. You've got one year and a half left of school. You've always been strong young lady and you're almost on your way to college. Keep your chin up and remember, you can't afford the 'luxury of a negative thought'. Have you decided where you want to go to college?"

"Well...Yes,..I've thought about going to University and State as well but lately I've been reading good things about Gallaudet University. Did you know that it is the only liberal arts school for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in the world? They use American Sign Language there and there are a whole bunch of other deaf people like me. They even have a class called Deaf Studies!"

"Frances, dear, I'm not sure that is a good idea. Your father and I did not work hard with you and your education only to have you go to a college for the deaf. You need to concentrate on your opportunities out there."

"Your Mom is right. You speak really well and you've scored higher than your classmates on your SAT. It would be several steps backwards for you if you were to attend Gallaudet. I strongly feel Gallaudet is not the place for you. I'm surprised you've even considered it."

"Ugh! You guys always tell me what to do and you never take into account how I feel and what I seek. You have always told me what was best for me according to YOU and YOUR ideals. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I NEED! Get the fuck out of my LIFE!"

*BOOM*

9 comments:

  1. When I was mainstreamed during Middle School, I was pretty much in this place. Maybe not to the point of suicide, but heading there, I'm sure. Going to MSSD saved my life and sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised we haven't had any Deaf kids go all Columbine on their mainstream schools.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a strong blog, speaking to my heart (myself a product of mainstreaming and my children who experienced it as well... I am sure it speaks to many people. My children wrote the letters to Governor Cuomo of NYS, sharing their feelings about it...

    http://deaftranquillife.typepad.com/blog/2011/02/kids-letters-to-governor-cuomo.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. heye Jeffrey

    i can't type

    i'm typeless

    but ill try cuz its important

    seriously - that there entry has left me speechless.

    it hurts

    me eyes r watering up

    it hurts

    i didnt experience mainstreaming and THE PRESSURE that badly but i have seen folks who have

    seen the marks on the arms

    seen the stories

    only cuz they lived to tell it

    u tell a truth that some dont....
    ...live to tell it

    i know this is true too

    thank you

    me cry

    peace,

    patti

    PS: notice no anonymous folks - truth is toxic for falsehood fanatics

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I have your permission to post the link to this posting on my blog (Kids' Letters to Governor Cuomo?)--K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy Y'all...

    The truth is a sobering experience. Yes.

    Karen, you have permission to link this to your blogpost. Many thanks to all of you for reading.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeffrey,

    I was profoundly moved by this blog. This blog should be expanded upon an autobiography!

    Jean Boutcher

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with others above here. Even though I had never been in mainstream public school myself but had encountered a few mainstreamed kids in my time and heard how unhappy they were in. Hell, some were anti-social for some reason. Very sad to see them living in the shadows of hearing people rather than being out in open among deaf people. Good blog, Jeff!

    Insane Misha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is the powerful article. It made me feel like I am her; even though, I have never experienced being in the mainstream school and the pain that many mainstream students have inherited. That should be shared publicly.

    ReplyDelete