chicp

chicp

Ol Will



"All the world’s a stage,

And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages." -Shakespeare

Monday, February 28, 2011

Ahhh,...Pathetic!

The following blogpost is solely based on my thoughts, experiences and observations into the past and present. The purpose of this post is to prick you, the reader, into a sense of curiosity, which in the end as I do hope, may result in some serious interrogation to bring the facts to the surface. Not for me or for you but for everyone to see and so it goes to be said that these things cannot be left unsaid.

Last night I got a little ring-ring phone call from Mr. Ed Emgee He was just calling to thank me for quoting him in yesterday's blog and he asked me to keep up the good work. Well, as we started talking he went on about the movement for a True Deaf Education, he interrupted himself with the question:

"Why is Catherine Murphy working at Gallaudet University? Do they know of her association with the PepsiCo letter?"

I was thinking to myself trying to figure out why he seemed irked and irritable. I sensed it was not the time to talk so I patiently listened to his words forthcoming. He went on to tell me how it was irresponsible of the board to even consider her for the job.

"She understands what hearing parents want for their children and she has learned that from the bottom up. I cannot understand how no one has even seemed to raise an eyebrow in the least. Is it difficult for you to see where this is going?", he asks.

"You know, I know this is serious. I can sense it but I'm not exactly sure what it is you're talking about. I mean, it is lost on me. What is your beef with her and the PepsiCo letter?"

"This is what they said, 'Murphy brings extensive experience to the position, most recently as director of communications and public affairs for the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. In that capacity, she represented the association on a variety of deaf and hard of hearing advocacy coalitions, including as co-chair of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Alliance, as well as before media representatives, and members of Congress and their staffs. Now tell me that I did not stand up to Alexander Graham Bell and his ridiculous pure oral evangelism in vain!"

"Ed, look man, I know it is easy to get pissed off about things but I'm still not sure I fully understand you. And no, you did not do these things in vain. You did them for that Deaf children may truly learn and be capable of seeing and loving themselves without the scrutiny of ignorant social norms."

"My reasons precisely. And why did they decide to break my heart on Valentine's Day? I have never felt so torn..."

"Valentine's Day? Excuse me?...What's up?"

"They sent me a little pink envelope which in it, was a black card that read in white letters: 'Gallaudet University today announced that several of its programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels will close in August 2013. This decision by the university’s governing board was made for the purposes of long-term planning and strategic resource allocation.' I initially took the first blow without trouble but as I read further, I could only wince and grimace at the words before my eyes."

"Umm, I didn't quite get all of that you said about the card they gave you but I reckon it was a pretty nasty note and..."

Suddenly my VP starts flashing and I see it's my friend Laurent. I tell Ed to hold on a minute while I answer the VP. He responds with a quick "sure" as I put down the receiver. Finally, I get the remote and answer the VP.

"Mon Dieu! Did you see that they've chosen to do away with the Deaf Studies/Deaf History graduate program. How dare they! Those sons-of-bitches think they can get away with something that is akin to genocide. That is stabbing it in the heart from the back!"

I look at the table where the telephone receiver lay and I quickly set my eyes back to Laurent who is obviously infuriated with the way things are going right now. I carefully, with much caution, tell him:

"Yeah, Ed was telling me about that. He feels heartbroken and deeply troubled. He was telling me how he feels he has done all this hard work for nothing. He was gravely concerned with the fact that Catherine Murphy is going to help AGBell achieve his ultimate goal of forever separating Deaf children from a Deaf Culture."

Clerc with a stern look and fiery hands responds: "Like HELL they will!" He restlessly moves about in his chair and tells me he needs to get a drink. So while he runs off to get a drink, I scurry back over to the table where the phone is:

"Okay, I'm back. I have Laurent on the VP and he is also very upset by this. I told him that I had you on the phone and what you had said to me. He was furthermore enraged and had to fetch himself a drink. Hey Ed, don't worry. I will tell them what you said and they will get on it. They always have. We just need to present the facts. Forget about protests. We are going to question them and bring them down to their reasons! The truth will prevail..."

"Jeff, that's a good idea but remember. They have planned this for many years. They've chosen to be selfish and dishonest in order to maintain any inflow of power. They don't care who Jeffrey is once he becomes an adult, it will not matter. He will get a job. He will be kept occupied. He will have a wife and kids. A mortgage. Three car payments with insurance in tow. He will be paid and he will be taxed. He will be forgotten. You must tell them about..."

Immediately the phone starts picking up static and is cutting in and out.

"Hey Ed? Are you there? What is it you want me to tell them about?"

"Jef.....about.....aga....eee"

The line was picking up all kinds of static and whine-like noises that I couldn't understand any thing at all. I looked back towards the VP to find Laurent reading "Deaf World", a Deaf centric magazine. I attempt to figure out what it was Ed wanted me to tell them about.

"Dude....are you still there?"

________________dialtone__________________


"Sacre! Those blasted people will go to Las Vegas for a deaf exposition and other such vices. They didn't use their time in the summer to plan a strategy that would ensure the continued preservation of Deaf culture, sign languages, and the excelling in the professional training of Deaf people. They just want to bask in the deceptive comfort of self-interest because they're sold out and so...."

[*******************Flash********************]

My VP shuts down and there is no power. After fidgeting with the remote I get up to check the phone which is also dead. I then walk to the front door to look outside, when all of a sudden, I fall and hit the floor.

*BANG!*

Here I am on a Saturday morning, still lying on the floor while the sun penetrates through a crack between the curtains of a window and slowly it slides onto my face. While I laid there recollecting myself and remembering that I had been somewhere and talked to a few someones, I rise to my feet and casually walk into the bathroom to urinate. While I'm on this "You're a peein'" tour of my dream, I mutter to myself about sharing my lucid dream with others that they may care but immediately I scorn myself:

"Don't be silly!...This is the world of apathy. No one is going to care about anything you say."

Do You really want that?

Deaf Culture.
Deaf Education.
American Sign Language.
Eradicated.
Removed.
Gone!

Can you see it happening?

Please don't wait til it is too late, til it's your job, til it's your school, til it's your language, and your culture. Do something about it. NOW!

Demand Truth and Seek Justice.

The above blogpost is solely based on my thoughts, experiences and observations into the past and present. The purpose of this post is to prick you, the reader, into a sense of curiosity, which in the end as I do hope, may result in some serious interrogation to bring the facts to the surface. Not for me or for you but for everyone to see and so it goes to be said that these things cannot be left unsaid.

9 comments:

  1. Exactly... that's what last night I sat down and wrote my blog posting about... we think on same wavelengths (almost, ha.)

    http://deaftranquillife.typepad.com/blog/2011/02/deaf-culture-without-deaf-schools.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't mind that I copied and pasted the link to your latest posting on my blog posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow - this is a golden one me friend!

    thank u and the voice that says:
    "Don't be silly!...This is the world of apathy. No one is going to care about anything you say."

    we are to be d-e-a-f to. that is the siren call for the death of the spirit and we shall not hear or heed it

    as sojourner truth sung it "no man could head me!"

    we got to have the "spiritual audacity to assert our somebodyness" (MLK) and say:

    Gally not cool for hiring Catherine Murphy as ur PR chappy when the Pepsi letter has NEVER been revoked and regretted by AG Bell & co.

    Gally not cool for taking a chopping axe to programs that PROMOTE the welfare of Deaf folks like Deaf Studies / Deaf History and the Theatre Education program while keeping other majors that other colleges provide fine and dandy and have nuttin' to do with the Deaf soul

    Gally not cool chopping Deaf History just at a time when the ICED 2010 Vancouver New Era agreement calls upon all the nations of the world to REMEMBER OUR HISTORY

    how can we bloody remember it if we dont know it

    Gally not cool issuing out those pink slips on <3 Day - that aint the loving thing to do and that is a questionable thing for the PR person to have chosen to do - could have waited a day - couldnt it have hmmmmmm

    Gally not cool turning ur back on good ole eddie

    he did not die in vain - his refrain shall be heard - "what's that u ask?" what refrain - ohhh the one that Abraham Lincoln uttered before him and the one that Tommy Jefferson sung before him and the one that MLK shouted from the mountain tops of after them - ya know scores and scores befores and afters

    ya know that self-evident one that only few seem able to see as it pertains to DEAF ASL folks

    nah they aint come and gone for naught

    in vain

    nope

    and them all there with the vanity to say to Hear and/or behave as Hearing folks do is better than being Deaf

    and them all there preaching the gospel of calamity - of failing early HEARing detection test before the wee thing even sings her/his song all in the name of the cause of making them the same

    and them all there with the insanity to institutionalize that (in)sensibility into curriculum, legislation, incorporation

    to all of youse and yours i say : P

    i love ya but wrong is wrong and right is right

    all folks were created equal and babes should not have to work for their words

    and Gally should not abandon its roots

    i dont care about a hoot toots about the 2nd coming of Oralism and Neo-eugenics as an EXCUSE for promoting all that is designed to eradicate Deaf ways of being - nope i dont

    still will love the products thereof but the system and collaborators and perpetrators - i love ya enuf to tell ya not cool, not cool

    ya basta

    ohhh and thanks Jeffrey - u got me all emotional and i aint even had my cup of joe yet

    peace and LOVE

    patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sobering look from the past at where this may be going for Deaf Culture, let alone the state of education of the deaf today.

    Look at all the cultures, not Deaf, that have arisen and become extinct over the years. Are they missed? Or just forgotten and not valued? Certainly they all contributed to the progress of humanity at the time or in total.

    Some cultures in history were tragically lost, as in the peaceful colonies of Natives or Samoans or elsewhere that could have taught us about environmental conservation and international relations. Or the matriarchial cultures of Old Europe that would have shown us women-governed nations.

    These lost cultures were experts on their own times, environments, histories and ways of life, as we are at living as a visual people not dependent on hearing. We have valuable things to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jeff! Have nothing more to add, in between your post and the comments above. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I don't mind.

    Yes. Yes. Yes.

    And in case you're wondering about the letter AGBell wrote to PepsiCo, please check the following link:

    http://agbell.org/NetCommunity/document.doc?id=246

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow is all I could utter out of my hand. I echo other sentiments above me.

    InsaneMisha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, that is a humbling thought and needs to be dealt with. Thanks for humbling me.

    Brian L. Mayes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the Gallaudet administration has made a very bad mistake for closing the program of Deaf studies/Deaf history. Something wrong with the picture! I think the Gallaudet administration has failed to recognize our values of Deaf studies and Deaf history. After all, its Gallaudet Syndrome!

    ReplyDelete