chicp

chicp

Ol Will



"All the world’s a stage,

And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages." -Shakespeare

Friday, December 9, 2011

My child is Deaf...

Let me say this again for those who haven't been there yet:

HARDCORE:
The system wants your child because he/she is deaf. They know you're hearing, Moms and Dads. They know you want your child to hear. Naturally. Right. Of course, with your child being deaf, they are not only a human being but also a golden egg waiting to hatch. You see, the system likes to apply all the consumer possibilities they can to people like you because the rich need to stay rich so they won't have to co-mingle with the likes of you. Some would call it an opinion and some would call it a fact. I'm calling it as I see it and remember,..I'm just a byproduct of the intended product.

All shit-kicking aside,...I'll stick to the center of it all.

It's perfectly fine for Moms and Dad's to want their child to hear and that is not a bad thing. I mean, if someone were to ask me what I'd suggest they decide for their deaf child. I would first admit that, a.) I am Deaf. Capital D. Enculturated YO! and b.) I have strong feelings about the idea of implantation because I'm not one to decide something that does not involve my own person or being. My body, my decision. You see, for me, I would decide that the most effective yet least invasive way to provide a language be utilized. I would not take the risks of sugery because deafness is not a matter of life and death. It is only life and Deaf.

I know the idea of living in a silent world might cause several to shudder but that is only because they have no idea or notion of what it is like. You know,...It's kinda like that first time you're on the edge of a cliff where a deep pool waits for you at the bottom. You've seen people jump off and get a thrill from doing it but you haven't done it yourself. Initially, you're scared and want to convince yourself that it is not worth it. As you watch people pass you by and continue to jump with joy into such a refreshing body of water, you begin to find the urge to do it and your curiosity won't let up. You look down far below and again feel the fear but as you hug courage and leap forward, you suddenly feel the rush of falling. You've let the fear go...

BAM! You're safe and feeling GREAT that you've finally tried it and now you can't get enough of it!

It's actually nice that I don't have hear people talking at the next table over about something that I could really care less about. It's nice that I don't have to listen to some punk assed song booming through the four way where every other word is motherfucker. It's awesome that I don't have to worry about the thunderstorms, the wind, the hail, and the coyotes keeping me up at night. I can sleep. Being Deaf doesn't dampen or depress the quality of life. It is ignorant people who believe that everyone should hear that do such damage to the life of those born deaf.

So...

I don't see anything wrong with anything you decide for your child as long as you understand that a visual and manual means of communicating with your child should be fundamental in the development of that child's mind, body, and spirit because it is natural and simple.

If your child responds to sound and can benefit from a hearing aid, then let them. If they babble and show an interest in speaking, then let them. Just make sure you always know that sign language is the sure-fire way to communicate and share information with your child without harming or altering their being and without making them stress and work for understanding. It is better to have a child who can actually respond to others with confidence in what they know and learn than to have a child who speaks with confidence but know nothing.

Believe me, I've seen my share of the system's failures and I would hate for you to come to such terms with your child.

If you're a parent with a Deaf child, please let them grow up with a sense of self worth and confidence in being who they are and do not attempt to mold them into something they are not. You see, they can be anything they aspire but be hearing and with that said, imagine the possibilities... they're infinite...

Deaf people have no limits, they just have hearing people who TRY to limit them.

Just sayin'...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Don't try change them for what they already are. Influence them with so much information, love, joy,teach and being there for them if need. Plan to share this link and other to general population who is interesting to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth is right in front of people; but do they listen? Not if it doesn't fit their own experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure-fire!

    thank u

    peace

    patti

    ReplyDelete